    SubjectRe: The ultimate TOE design
    On Sep 15 2004, at 21:04, Paul Jakma was caught saying:
    > On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    >
    > >Put simply, the "ultimate TOE card" would be a card with network ports, a
    > >generic CPU (arm, mips, whatever.), some RAM, and some flash. This card's
    > >"firmware" is the Linux kernel, configured to run as a _totally indepenent
    > >network node_, with IP address(es) all its own.
    > >
    > >Then, your host system OS will communicate with the Linux kernel running
    > >on the card across the PCI bus, using IP packets (64K fixed MTU).
    >
    > >My dream is that some vendor will come along and implement such a
    > >design, and sell it in enough volume that it's US$100 or less.
    > >There are a few cards on the market already where implementing this
    > >design _may_ be possible, but they are all fairly expensive.
    >
    > The intel IXP's are like the above, XScale+extra-bits host-on-a-PCI
    > card running Linux. Or is that what you were referring to with
    > "<cards exist> but they are all fairly expensive."?

    Unfortunately all the SW that lets one make use of the interesting
    features of the IXPs (microEngines, crypto, etc) is a pile of
    propietary code.

    ~Deepak

    --
    Deepak Saxena - dsaxena at plexity dot net - http://www.plexity.net/

    "Unlike me, many of you have accepted the situation of your imprisonment
    and will die here like rotten cabbages." - Number 6