    SubjectRe: udev is too slow creating devices
    On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 03:55:26PM +0200, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:

    > Real case: distribution boot script.
    > It should work with non udev kernel, udev non modular kernel and
    > udev very modular kernel.

    That's a lot to ask for a simple script :)

    Why not just pick one of those options and go with it?

    > The script load (directly or not) a module
    > and need the device impelmented by module.

    Then do the 'sit and spin' method. That works for all of the above
    options, right?

    > Old behaviour (modprobe "waits" for the creation of device):
    > normal init.d script, with normal boot priorities.

    Please realize that this "behaviour" is not guaranteed at all. And in
    fact will be changing in the future so that it is _not_ the way it will
    work.

    > New behaviour (dev.d). What I should do?
    > My init.d script is loaded with priority XX, so
    > I require that dev.d on my device is executed after
    > boot priority XX (else I don't have the needed
    > functionalities), also in case of non-udev or non modular kernel.
    > How should I implement script in dev.d/?

    dev.d is called by the kernel, not your script. You don't have to set a
    priority of when dev.d runs at all, it's not necessary.

    > I see some design problems in dev.d/, or am I wrong?

    What problems?

    > PS: - What are the best (on topic) mailing list?

    linux-hotplug-devel

    > - What do other distributions?

    What do they do? They just work :)

    thanks,

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.059 / U:30.676 seconds]