SubjectRe: Losing too many ticks! .... on a VIA epia board
Date

> Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed.
> Losing some ticks... checking if CPU frequency changed.
> Losing too many ticks!
> TSC cannot be used as a timesource. Possible reasons for this are:
> You're running with Speedstep,
> You don't have DMA enabled for your hard disk (see hdparm),
> Incorrect TSC synchronization on an SMP system (see dmesg).
> Falling back to a sane timesource now.
>

> Furthermore editors like jed and emacs takes forever to start. A "strace
> emacs /somefile" shows that it hangs in a poll right after gettimeofday.
>
> Any clues to what is wrong and how I go about fixing it?!
>
> Regards Thomas, Denmark

I don't have a clue but the same problem on an amd64 system. I am
running a 64bit 2.6.9-rc1-mm4 kernel on my machine and if i add the boot
parameter report_lost_ticks it reports the same messages as your
machine. Since 2.6.7 there is this parameter, before the lost ticks
where reported all the time. I always thought that this is a 64bit
problem because i have heard from others which have this problem too.
Why are we loosing ticks? On my system it happens almost when an acpi
event occurs. I know that they aren't reported anymore but I don't like
the thing that my processor (or timesource) looses something.

Georg Schild

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.067 / U:0.136 seconds]