    SubjectRe: [patch] kernel sysfs events layer
    On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 03:09:01AM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
    > On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 05:07:53PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
    > > On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 04:45:53PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
    > > > Do we agree on the model that the signal is a simple verb and we keep
    > > > only a small dictionary of _static_ signal strings and no fancy compositions?
    > >
    > > I agree with this. And because of that, we should enforce that, and
    > > help prevent typos in the signals. So, here's a patch that does just
    > > that, making it a lot harder to mess up (although you still can, as
    > > enumerated types aren't checked by the compiler...) This patch booted
    > > on my test box.
    > >
    > > Anyone object to me adding this patch? If not, I'll fix up Kay's patch
    > > for mounting to use this interface and add both of them.
    > I like it, so the printf is gone :) Fine with me.
    > > > And we should reserve the "add" and "remove" only for the hotplug events.
    > >
    > > I don't know, the firmware objects already use "add" for an event.
    > Yes, but isn't the firmware event a real hotplug event? I just want to
    > be sure, that it's easy to recognize the hotplug events from userspace.

    It's a "real" one in that it is generated :)

    request_firmware() causes the hotplug event to happen, so that we know
    to load firmware to the device that requested it.

    > > I didn't put a check in the kobject_uevent() calls to prevent the add and
    > > remove, but now it's a lot easier to do so if you think it's necessary.
    > Don't think that this is needed. I will add somthing to the kobject
    > documentation, if it's stable and merged.

    Ok, I'll add this patch and wait for the documentation :)

    greg k-h

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.020 / U:18.476 seconds]