    SubjectRe: swapping and the value of /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
    On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 11:31:53AM -0700, Florin Andrei wrote:
    > On Mon, 2004-09-06 at 16:27, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > Con Kolivas <kernel@kolivas.org> wrote:
    >
    > > > The change was not deliberate but there have been some other people report
    > > > significant changes in the swappiness behaviour as well (see archives). It
    > > > has usually been of the increased swapping variety lately. It has been
    > > > annoying enough to the bleeding edge desktop users for a swag of out-of-tree
    > > > hacks to start appearing (like mine).
    > >
    > > All of which is largely wasted effort.
    >
    > >From a highly-theoretical, ivory-tower perspective, maybe; i am not the
    > one to pass judgement.
    > >From a realistic, "fix it 'cause it's performing worse than MSDOS
    > without a disk cache" perspective, definitely not true.
    >
    > I've found a situation where the vanilla kernel has a behaviour that
    > makes no sense:
    >
    > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109237941331221&w=2
    > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109237959719868&w=2
    > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109238126314192&w=2
    >
    > A patch by Con Kolivas fixed it:
    >
    > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109410526607990&w=2
    >
    > I cannot offer more details, i have no time for experiments, i just need
    > a system that works. The vanilla kernel does not.

    Have you tried to decrease the value of /proc/sys/vm/swappiness
    to say 30 and see what you get?

    Andrew's point is that we should identify the problem - Con's patch
    rewrites swapping policy.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.023 / U:0.104 seconds]