    SubjectRe: udev is too slow creating devices
    On Sep 14, Greg KH <> wrote:

    > What's wrong with the /etc/dev.d/ location for any type of script that
    > you want to run after a device node has appeared? This is an
    > application specific issue, not a kernel issue.
    The problem is that since most distributions cannot make udev usage
    mandatory, this would require duplicating in the init script and in the
    dev.d script whatever needs to be done with the device.
    Then there are the issues of scripts needing programs in /usr, which may
    not be mounted when the module is loaded, or which are interactive and
    need console access (think fsck).
    Basically asyncronous creation of devices requires a ground up redesign
    of the init scripts of a distribution. I'm not claiming that this is not
    possible, but it's not going to happen soon.

    ciao, |
    Marco | [8002 aveHSeIFcnkpI]

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.030 / U:1.808 seconds]