SubjectRe: udev is too slow creating devices
Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 01:40:22PM -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
>
>>Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
>>

>>>udev + modular microcode:
>>>$ modprobe -r microcode
>>>$ modprobe microcode ; microcode_ctl -u
>>>=> microcode_ctl does NOT find the device
>>
>>The loading of the module triggers udev to run. There is no guarantee that
>>udev runs before microcode_ctl.
>>
>>One workaround would be to have microcode_ctl use dnotify to get woken up
>>whenever /dev changes.
>

> Ick, no. Use the /etc/dev.d/ notify method I described. That is what
> it is there for.

After a brief discussion with debian udev maintainer, I've an
other proposal/opinion.

The "bug" appear only in two places: at udev start and after
a modprobe, so IMHO we should correct these two place, so that:
- from a user side perspective it is the right thing!
(after a successful modprobe, I expect module and devices
are created sussesfully)
- there are not many special case:
with udev use dev.d, else do actions now!

Else every distribution should create a script for
every init.d script that would eventually use (also
indirectly) a kernel module.

ciao
cate

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.080 / U:36.516 seconds]