    SubjectRe: Copying huge amount of data on ReiserFS, XFS and Silicon Image 3112 cause oops.
    Date
    On Tuesday 14 September 2004 15:12, you wrote:
    [snip]

    > You would need to be within the size of the physical memory of your
    > box to having a full filesystem - as a very rough approximation. So 1Gbyte
    > memory, 1 Gbyte disk free. There is a path when XFS is attempting to
    > free up pre-reserved disk space to make room for a new write, it
    > does this by flushing data out to disk. This means it has to work
    > out where it is physically going to go, which usually results in it
    > taking less metadata space to reference the data than the worst case
    > estimate it previously made. For lots of cases this probably still
    > does not overflow the stack, but if you add in drivers like lvm
    > and md and a complex scsi driver it probably pushes you over the
    > limit.

    Well, this is a good reference answer to the question. The machines are all
    small systems with only 1GB memory, and plenty of remaining space on the two
    partitions. I doubt I'd trigger the logic causing the problem.

    > In general though, I would rebuild without the 4K stacks and at least
    > have the kernel ready for a convenient reboot.

    Thanks, I'll do that.

    --
    Cheers,
    Alistair.

    personal: alistair()devzero!co!uk
    university: s0348365()sms!ed!ac!uk
    student: CS/AI Undergraduate
    contact: 1F2 55 South Clerk Street,
    Edinburgh. EH8 9PP.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.020 / U:58.208 seconds]