SubjectRe: [Patch 4/4] cpusets top mask just online, not all possible
On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 19:21, Paul Jackson wrote:
> Just as code in kernel/sched.c:move_task_off_dead_cpu()
> updates the affected tasks cpus_allowed to move off a dead
> CPU, calling cpuset_cpus_allowed() to get a new list of
> candidate CPUs to be set in task->cpus_allowed, similarly I
> expect that disabling a Memory Node should result in some
> "move_task_off_dead_memory()" routine, that called a cpuset
> routine to be called "cpuset_mems_allowed()", to get a new
> list of Memory Nodes, to be set in task->mems_allowed.
>
> Does this expectation fit for you? If so, let me know when
> you want the"cpuset_mems_allowed()" routine - or take a stab
> at it yourself if you find that easier.

That seems pretty reasonable to me. The fallback order that's
implemented in move_task_off_dead_cpu() seems very similar to what needs
to be done for memory. However, those operations might have to occur a
bit earlier in the process for memory.

Consider a case where a zone is shrinking, and memory is being moved out
of a section inside of it. We should try to allocate the memory to move
pages from the shrinking area in the same zone, the same node, then in
other ever-less-optimal NUMA nodes.

But, this has to occur in any removal case, even before the node is
completely gone. So, for now, I think that we probably need to go about
the normal removal process, and make sure to update mems_allowed if a
process's page is migrated to a place that wasn't in its mems_allowed.

Is it easy to tell if a given page was influenced by a cpusets
allocation? How would the memory removal code know which task[s] to go
and update?

> There are other ways to skin this cat - feel free to offer
> such up if that fits your work better.

My only other idea is just to leave it alone for now. We're still a
good bit of time away from removing NUMA nodes and I'll probably have a
much better idea about what we need when that occurs.

Somebody correct me if you disagree, but I don't see merging memory
removal as something that's going to happen in the next couple of
months. The work that I'm doing on it now is more so that I can
robustly test addition over, and over, and over again and get
_additiion_ in a mergable state.

I hate to have you or anyone else do a bunch of work for something that
isn't in-tree or planned to be in-tree for a while. We'll fix it when
we get there :)

-- Dave

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.050 / U:0.288 seconds]