    SubjectRe: radeon-pre-2
    On Sad, 2004-09-11 at 08:11, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
    > The thing is I know of no way to provide arbitration in such a way as to
    > permit other code to access PLL registers directly.

    This arises solely because the DRM and framebuffer drivers cannot find
    each other and have no shared structures. The moment you have that it
    becomes

    down(&dev->foo->pll_lock);

    > Thus at the very least you would want to mandate the availability of mode
    > setting part of FB when DRM is loaded - and they you can just as well link
    > the relevant code together.

    You are making a generic assumption for a single card specific problem
    in a specific situation. That leads to bad decisions for embedded. It
    does argue for mode setting and fb to be separate too.

    (Remember for most embedded devices mode setting code is trivial)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.020 / U:0.756 seconds]