SubjectRe: silent semantic changes in reiser4 (brief attempt to document the idea ofwhat reiser4 wants to do with metafiles and why
Paul Jakma wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Hans Reiser wrote:
>
>> It is not part of it at one level, but in the shell it is part of it.
>

> Just one of many applications. Watch Joe-user save their word
> processing file sometime, they'll use spaces, quotes, etc.

With great unhappiness they will.

>> Have you looked at the political process at all? Or by lots of
>> people, do you mean a sizable minority?
>

> Kernel development does

did you mean to have a "not" here?

> require deep understanding by the majority of computer users. Only
> kernel developers need deep understanding. ;)

What makes you think kernel developers have a deep understanding of the
value of connectivity in the OS? They don't. The average kernel
developer is not particularly bright. Just ask Ted why htrees are slower
than reiser4, or ext2 tail combining is slower, and, well, he has no
clue. He is happy to explain how architects don't do real work and
should not attend the Linux Kernel Summit, and then when reiser4 blows
htrees away he undoubtedly still thinks I just take the credit away from
the programmers who do the real work. They did real work, and they are
the best in the field, but architecture also matters --- quite a lot
actually.

Maybe instead of free trade, I should have used anti-trust laws as my
example. The percentage of persons who analytically understand both that
free trade is vital and that anti-trust laws are a good thing is very
small (and especially small at Harvard Law School). Average people can
understand freedom. Understanding that one is not really free to choose
to not purchase from a cartel is hard for many. Understanding that free
markets are only a first approximation and that is why we need
anti-trust laws is beyond perhaps even most economics PhDs.

This is not due to a lack of education. I once had a boss explain to me
how many people have trouble understanding orders of magnitude and
ratios. He particularly meant his boss, who was having trouble
understanding my report.

We all have mental defects, we just have them in different areas from
each other. (Forgive me for not enumerating mine....;-) ) Some technical
matters are understood by much less than 50% of the population. Closure
is one of them. For most people the value of closure can only be
understood by using and liking a system that has it, and they are not
capable of wanting it in advance during the design stages. Codd
understood the importance of closure. You could sense his frustration at
being unable to convey it to others in his writings. The search engine
industry completely misses the importance of closure.

This is why I just want to be left alone to tinker with reiser4. It is
faster than other filesystems. People should assume I know what I am
doing, and leave me to tinker in my little fs. 5 years later others will
follow, or not, I don't care.

> The real question though is: Have you given Al Viro technical answers
> to his technical questions?

Yes, I did. Got no response. Would you like me to post something nice
and technical to this thread?;-) I can send a summary of my design, and
the answers I sent to Viro and Linus.

> regards,

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.098 / U:0.528 seconds]