    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Release Digsig 1.3.1: kernel module for run-time authentication of binaries
    * Serge E. Hallyn ( wrote:
    > > Thing is, x86 makes no distinction btween r/x so, have you tried mmaping
    > > with read, then executing (I haven't)?
    > Yup, clearly that will work on x86. And so obviously DigSig is not
    > a solution to format and buffer overflows :) Nor, unfortunately, a

    > solution to code which for whatever reason exploited this behavior.

    That's what I was getting at. Beats me what's out there that does this,
    but I expect some stuff does, and it wouldn't get the same assurance.

    > > This has nothing to do with file permissions aside of read. All you need
    > > is read permission, then you can mmap(PROT_EXEC) which will kick off the
    > > check, and do deny_write_access. It's a freeform way to lock writers
    > > out of any readable file in the system.
    > No, not "any readable file," because DigSig will not lock non-ELF files.

    Ahh, this is the part I had missed.

    Linux Security Modules

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.031 / U:6.160 seconds]