    SubjectRe: Separating Indexing and Searching (was silent semantic changes with reiser4)
    Hans Reiser wrote:
    > Symlinks also. Symlinks with powerful queries in them would require a
    > parser in the kernel.

    No they wouldn't. You can do symlinks with powerful queries in
    userspace _today_ (as well as directories which list queries).

    Making queries be up to date in real-time is still a problem, but that
    has nothing to do with symlinks or directories, or where the parsers live.

    > Thanks for helping me to distill my incoherent reasons for the
    > parser being in the kernel.

    This is one occasion where you're mistaken :)

    There may be other reasons for parsing query strings in the kernel
    (though I'm not convinced there are any), but this isn't one.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.020 / U:61.196 seconds]