SubjectRe: Separating Indexing and Searching (was silent semantic changes with reiser4)
Hans Reiser wrote:
> Symlinks also. Symlinks with powerful queries in them would require a
> parser in the kernel.

No they wouldn't. You can do symlinks with powerful queries in
userspace _today_ (as well as directories which list queries).

Making queries be up to date in real-time is still a problem, but that
has nothing to do with symlinks or directories, or where the parsers live.

> Thanks for helping me to distill my incoherent reasons for the
> parser being in the kernel.

This is one occasion where you're mistaken :)

There may be other reasons for parsing query strings in the kernel
(though I'm not convinced there are any), but this isn't one.

-- Jamie

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans