>From James.Bottomley@SteelEye.com  Sat Aug  7 17:01:00 2004

>On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 08:00, Jens Axboe wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 05 2004, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>> > - Parallel (50 bin) SCSI (unknown HBA) on Linux-2.6 does not work if
>> > DMA size is not a multiple of 4. The data transferred from the SCSI
>> > device is OK for the first part that is a multiple of 4.
>> > The remainder of bytes arrive as binary zeroes.
>> >
>> > This is a new bug (I received the related information this week).
>>
>> Might be a hardware issue.

>Probably it is. Lots of hardware FIFO chips are 4 or 8 bytes wide and
>can't do partial transfers (because of the way the cycle the data off
>the bus). Usually they have logic that sends only partial fragments on
>to the device for commands, but its not unknown for them to forget this
>on actual data transfers

I did already prove that is is a driver bug. Writing again that it _may_
be a hw bug does not help.

>> That's bogus, the SCSI stack (as well as the block layer) is very well
>> capable of reporting residual counts, and if the hardware can do it (we
>> can't get it from some ide hardware :/), we will report residuals.
>>
>> So if it doesn't work it's a bug, but not a design bug.

>Well...more likely a driver bug. Residuals have to be reported by the
>driver. I thought all of the drivers that could were now doing this,
>but I might have missed some...which driver is it?

For Adaptec HW

>A selection timeout is reported as DID_NO_CONNECT.

>DID_TIME_OUT is for cards that can watchdog their commands in hw and is
>what they return when the watchdog fires.

>If you actually want visibility into the SCSI mid layer timeout, that's
>harder since it feeds directly into the error handler that tries to
>ready the transport and device for action. In general, a command that
>times out this way is retried. If you set the FASTFAIL flag, it will
>come out with DRIVER_TIMEOUT set in its result area.

- Retrying commands that have been send via Generic SCSI is wrong.

- A flag called "FASTFAI" does not exist :-(

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1
schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) chars I am J"org Schilling