Albert Cahalan writes:

> Joerg:
> "WARNING: Cannot do mlockall(2).\n"
> "WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.\n"
> Fixed:
> "Warning: You don't have permission to lock memory.\n"
> " If the computer is not idle, the CD may be ruined.\n"
>
> Joerg:
> "WARNING: Cannot set priority class parameters priocntl(PC_SETPARMS)\n"
> "WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.\n"
> Fixed:
> "Warning: You don't have permission to hog the CPU.\n"
> " If the computer is not idle, the CD may be ruined.\n"

Huh? That can't be right. Every cd burner this side of the 21st century has
buffer underrun protection. I've burnt cds _while_ capturing and encoding
video using truckloads of cpu and I/O without superuser privileges, had all
the cdrecord warnings and didn't have a buffer underrun. Last time I gave
superuser privilege to cdrecord it locked my machine - clearly it wasn't
rt_task safe.

Con

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.152 / U:1.188 seconds]