SubjectRe: [patch] voluntary-preempt-2.6.8-rc3-O4
On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 13:02, Florian Schmidt wrote:

> I don't use APIC, since it never worked good for me.. But i wanted to
> report that the mlockall latency still seems to be there.. I can easily
> trigger it with mlockall'ing > ~10000kb. Need to recompile with the
> preempt-timing patch, but here's an xrun trace that happened when
> mlockall'ing 20000kb:

Ingo, do you plan to maintain the voluntary preempt patch against the
-mm series? From looking at Andrew's announcement yesterday it looks
like many latency issues fixed in the voluntary preemption patches are
also fixed in -mm, so it seems like the patch would be much smaller.
One thing that might be useful is breaking out the irq threading code as
a patch against -mm. Judging from all the -mm latency fixes it seems
like this would work as well as the vanilla kernel+voluntary preempt.

This would also make it easier to identify which are the important
latency fixes from -mm enabling them to be pushed into mainline sooner.
On some of my tests I got 10-20% better results using vol-preempt+mm vs
vol-preempt+vanilla, it would be nice to identify what changes are
responsible.

Lee

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:1.600 / U:0.032 seconds]