lkml.org 
[lkml]   [2004]   [Aug]   [9]   [last100]   RSS Feed
Views: [wrap][no wrap]   [headers]  [forward] 
 
Messages in this thread
/
Date
From
SubjectRe: PATCH: cdrecord: avoiding scsi device numbering for ide devices
On Mon, Aug 09 2004, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>
> >From: Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
> >> If you were true and Linux would include _and_ use DMA abstraction, then
> >> we would have DMA with ide-scsi for all CD sector sizes.
>
> >Just because we have an api for helping drivers map data for dma,
> >doesn't necessarily mean that they all use it. In 2.6.8 ide-scsi will
>
> This is the first time that you mention it and you could have avoided a lot
> of mail if you did do eralier.

I believe your complaint was for 2.4, since it doesn't support SG_IO for
atapi devices. For 2.6 you are just wasting cycles using ide-scsi on
ATAPI burners.

> >use dma for all transfers. As I've already stated, I wont be fixing 2.4.
> >I've also included reasons for this. You seem to think that a 'DMA
> >abstraction layer' means there will be no hardware bugs, I only wish
> >that was so.
>
> DMA abstraction does not fix HW bugs, it only allows you to behave the
> same for all "DMA users" for the same HW in the kernel.

If they all use the interface. Like with all interfaces, it takes time
before it's being used kernel-wide.

> >> YOu have only shown that you in many caes try to ignoore the truth ;-(
>
> >I'm surprised an ego of your size can even be contained inside a
> >normally sized (I'm assuming, having never met you) human body. I guess
> >in your opinion, anything oozing from your brain is by definition the
> >truth? That's the only way that I can see your above sentence making
> >sense to you.
>
> OK, as you just verified again that you are a frequent source of
> insulting people we should close this thread.
>
> Let us start after you managed to regret and to learn to separate a
> technical discussion from personal unsulting.

I have lots of discussions on linux-kernel, and not all of them (very
few, in fact) end up in flames. You seem to end up in flames with
basically everyone. At least on linux-kernel, I believe my track record
is far better than yours. Your mails are often infuriating.

Since you do not listen to anything I say anyways and keep reiterating
the same comments again and again like a duracell bunny, it's hard to
have a technical discussion with you.

End of discussion from me. Before you claim I'm going away because I
have no arguments (that's rich, coming from you), I'm closing this
thread from my end since you bring nothing to the table except flame
bait and repeated empty arguments.

--
Jens Axboe

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

\
 
 \ /
  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.033 / U:4.532 seconds]
©2003-2020 Jasper Spaans|hosted at Digital Ocean and TransIP|Read the blog|Advertise on this site