>From: Eric Lammerts <eric@lammerts.org>

>On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>> The CAM interface (which is from the SCSI standards group)
>> usually is implemeted in a way that applications open /dev/cam and
>> later supply bus, target and lun in order to get connected
>> to any device on the system that talks SCSI.
>>
>> Let me repeat: If you believe that this is a bad idea, give very
>> good reasons.

>With this interface, how do you grant non-root users access to a CD
>writer, but prevent them from directly accessing a SCSI harddisk?

On Linux, it is impossible to run cdrecord without root privilleges.
Make cdrecord suid root, it has been audited....

On Solaris, there is ACLs, RBAC & getppriv() / setppriv()

http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/816-5167/6mbb2jaeu?a=expand

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1
schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) chars I am J"org Schilling