SubjectRe: Possible dcache BUG
Date
On Saturday 07 August 2004 09:44, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 11:20:28PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
>> > I _was_ able to find the attached oops, but I don't think I have
>> > the corresponding object files, so I hope the decoding it
>> > contains is good enough.
>>
>> It's fine.
>
>Well then, maybe you'd like more? I attached two more from the same
>period. Please remember that these are 5 months old, and could
>represent bugs already fixed. I think this was stock 2.6.4.
>
>> It oopses on
>>
>> inode->i_sb->s_op
>>
>> where "i_sb" is bad and contains the pointer "0x0b7eebf8" which is
>> definitely not a valid kernel pointer.
>>
>> There's a few other strange details in your oops report too. One
>> being that the inode pointer (in %ebx, apparently) doesn't show on
>> the stack where I'd expect it to show. Hmm. That might be just a
>> different compiler issue, though.
>
>Perhaps due to CONFIG_REGPARM? I haven't used it for quite a while,
> but back in March I was a bit bolder about config options marked
> experimental. Gene, are you using REGPARM?
>
>-chris

No Chris. I think I may have had it on for maybe 10 minutes, in
2.6.7-mmsomething maybe. But it died without a trace, (on the old
motherboard with an Athlon 1600XP on it) as I was starting X, so on
the next reboot to 2.6.7, I turned it back off and haven't turned it
back on since.

IIRC that was before the video card took ill, so at that point I was
blaming my problems, which were generally only post problems then, as
symptoms of heat. TBE it had to warm up before it would post! By
the time the video card wouldn't post, memtest86 was also finding bad
memory (with a new card plugged in), hence the whole mobo got
retired.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:1.979 / U:0.064 seconds]