    SubjectRe: Solving suspend-level confusion
    Hi!

    > > Disks in general are an example (IDE beeing the one that is currently
    > > implemented, but we'll probably have to do the same for SATA and SCSI
    > > at one point), you want to spin them off (with proper cache flush
    > > etc...) when suspending to RAM, while you don't when suspending to
    > > disk, as you really don't want them to be spun up again right away to
    > > write the suspend image.
    >
    > So suspend-to-RAM more or less matches PCI D3hot, and
    > suspend-to-DISK matches PCI D3cold. If those power states
    > were passed to the device suspend(), the disk driver could act
    > appropriately. In my observation, D3cold was never passed
    > down, it was always D3hot.
    >
    > These look to me like "wrong device-level suspend state" cases.

    Actually, suspend-to-disk has to suspend all devices *twices*. Once it
    wants them in "D0 but DMA/interrupts stopped", and once in "D3cold but
    I do not really care power is going to be cut anyway". I do not think
    this can be expressed with PCI states.
    Pavel