SubjectRe: Possible dcache BUG
Date
On Wednesday 04 August 2004 23:46, Andrew Morton wrote:
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:
>> On Monday 02 August 2004 09:14, Brett Charbeneau wrote:
>> >Greetings,
>> >
>> > I am getting the oops below - twice since 7/26, but I haven't a
>> >clue what's causing it.
>> > I am not a subscriber, so any replies directed to me would be
>> >gratefully received.
>> > Thank you for your hard work on this!
>>
>> The attachment this gentleman included specifically points to
>> prune_dcache(). Thats nice. It also means I'm not alone. See
>> the 'prune_dcache() Oops, the saga continues' thread.
>
>Except he's running a 2.4 kernel.
>
>Is there any reason why I'm wrong in thinking that you have dodgy
>hardware?

Well, it has, in the past week, ran memtest86-3a for 12 full passes
over the whole gig of ram with no errors. This was the longest test,
I gave it a 2 hour, 5 pass test before I ever booted linux the first
time on this motherboard over 2 weeks ago now, a new Biostar
M7NCD-Pro, with an nforce2(3?) chipset. I did that because I was
comeing from an older board whose memory had been overstressed by a
failing video card and I wanted to make sure this new memory, nearly
$210 worth of it, was good. I gave it another, probably 4 hour test
after the first couple of crashes, which it also passed. And it got
worse as the kernel versions incremented from 2.6.7. I can have the
same fault in prune_dcache() while running a 2.6.7 kernel without an
instant lockup, but it will eventually die, maybe half an hour later.
Move to 2.6.7-mm1, which has a patch to fs/dcache.c that remains
untouched thru 2.6.8-rc2, and those kernels, if they lock up, do it
totally, often with nothing in the logs at all. That was the case
today, on 2.6.8-rc3, which has a new dcache.c patch in it if I read
the release notes correctly.

If this is dodgy hardware, give me something to take to tcwo.com when
I ask for an rma. Not having M$ windows of any kind here, I frankly
haven't had the inclination to look at the cd's that came with the
board. Should I?

Or does linux have a hardware test suite I've not heard about?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.137 / U:0.884 seconds]