SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.8-rc3 - BSD licensing
On Iau, 2004-08-05 at 18:45, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> Assuming that the AES code is not in itself considered derived from
> the kernel, I see nothing preventing the source file in the kernel
> tree carrying a BSD license. Obviously, when used with the kernel the
> GPL will apply, but anyone would be free to take the AES code and
> reuse it under the BSD license. If, on the other hand, the AES source
> in the kernel only carries a GPL license tag, someone looking at it
> will not be aware that the code is (possibly) available with less
> restrictions form another source.

The random driver has an example of that kind of dual licensing made
explicit. Given code gets modified for the kernel maybe it would be
simpler to just give the URL of the original in the comments so everyone
else (who probably wants the original anyway) can grab it there.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans