    Salut,

    On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 08:39:25PM -0400, Alexander G. M. Smith wrote:
    > I mostly agree, like I was saying earlier, file types are needed!
    > The kernel doesn't have to know about all of them, just some of
    > them. It should be possible to attach a file type to everything so
    > you know what kind of thing it is, not just block or character
    > device or file, but something like a MIME type.

    Then store the value computed by libmagic into an extended attribute,
    if you like. I still don't see why the kernel should even care. It
    shouldn't read things from files anyway, as a kernel shall be bootable
    on a busybox system (and *Step) as well, so we don't rely on the fs
    layout in any way.

    > Optionally the kernel could also maintain the global list of all
    > file types and their properties (such as which ones are indexed,
    > which are computed), though that could also be done in userland if
    > you aren't doing indexing or computed attributes or other fancy
    > operations.

    Quel horreur!

    Do it in userland, really.

    If I get the time, I'll write you a small daemon based on libmagic
    which stores the file attributes in xattrs, or if they're not
    supported, in some MacOS/Xish per-directory files. Even a file manager
    ("finder") can do that, there's not even the need for a daemon.

    Tonnerre

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:2.773 / U:0.052 seconds]