    SubjectRe: kbuild: Support LOCALVERSION
    On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 09:26:43PM +0200, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
    > The following patch combines the request from several people.
    > If you place a file named localversion* in the root of your
    > soruce tree or the root of your output tree the text included in this
    > file will be appended to KERNELRELEASE.

    With this patch *without* a localversion file I get

    ianw@baci:/tmp/kbuild-test$ make
    cat: /tmp/kbuild-test/localversion*: No such file or directory
    make: *** No rule to make target `/tmp/kbuild-test/localversion*', needed by `include/linux/version.h'. Stop.

    However, with the right files there it works as you describe.

    The interaction with LOCALVERSION from the command line (i.e. make
    LOCALVERSION=aversion) is still a bit funny too, since it won't cause
    version.h to be rebuilt. Is it going to just be a case of "you can't
    specify LOCALVERSION" from the command line?

    My original patch also had a Kconfig option which would be inserted; I
    figured this might be good because if you're creating a bunch of
    different configs you are probably in [menu|x]config to change the
    options, so it might be convenient to just set it via a string in
    there. Would anyone else like to see that?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.019 / U:6.992 seconds]