    SubjectRe: silent semantic changes in reiser4 (brief attempt to document the idea of what reiser4 wants to do with metafiles and why

    > Salut,

    > On Tue, Aug 31, 2004 at 08:17:36PM +0200, Spam wrote:
    >> How are things done on Windows platforms when there are files and
    >> directories with the same name? In Unix that is imposible. How does
    >> it work for environments like Cygwin etc? What happen to tools
    >> that run in them?

    > In NTFS it's illegal IIRC. At least the fs correction utilities
    > complain about a block being assigned to two files.

    I meant a file and a directory with the same name, not two files
    with the same name :) subtle but important difference.

    ie, you can have a file named "foo" and a directory named "foo" and
    they won't collide.

    > Same with HFS+.

    > Sometimes there seem to be several things with the same name. But
    > that's because of hidden extensions (.lnk for example).

    > I'm talking out of the book here, maybe the real-world implementations
    > of Windows are different. I can't tell, I only used Windows once to
    > ssh into a screwed-up router.

    > Tonnerre

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.031 / U:29.420 seconds]