SubjectRe: Termination of the Philips Webcam Driver (pwc)
On 04.08.29, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> I'm disgusted by how many people have been complaining, yet when I ask
> people to step up and actually _do_ something about it, people suddenly
> become very quiet, or continue complaining about it ignoring the
> fundamental issue.
>
> Everybody (including you, Alan, so don't go hoity-toity on us) has
> apparently totally ignored my calls for a new maintainer, and asking the
> people involved who wrote parts of the driver for their input.
> I don't have a _single_ one actually responding for my calls to actually
> _do_ something about the driver.

I beg your pardon, but that is not true. I volunteered to be
a maintainer of the open-source pwc driver in one of my messages of
the 27th. Quote:

So long as someone is available to maintain the closed-source
codecs (while, we all hope, working in parallel with the manufacturers
involved to secure open-source licensing for any currently
closed-source components), I am confident that we can put together
a team to implement the rest. I would be pleased to be on the team.

I then submitted an overall design for a revised open-source
driver, and a graceful transition plan. Please see my message
entitled: "PWC: A Plea for Grace" for details.

I've discussed some of my proposal for maintenance pf pwc with
Nemosoft offline (apparently, I'm not the only one discussing pwc
maintenance with Nemosoft offline), and received what I believe is a
favorable response.

Craig Milo Rogers

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.068 / U:1.064 seconds]