SubjectRe: [BENCHMARK] nproc: netlink access to /proc information
On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:16:27 -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 07:52:45PM +0200, Roger Luethi wrote:
> > I am confident that this problem (as far as process monitoring is
> > concerned) could be addressed with differential notification.
>
> I'm a bit squeamish about that given that mmlist_lock and tasklist_lock
> are both problematic and yet another global structure to fiddle with in
> the process creation and destruction path threatens similar trouble.

The numbers looks so bad that for many cases it's going to be a
significant win if we simply call nproc_send_note in said paths. But
I'll admit that I've been entertaining thoughts about a global queue
or something to send notifications in batches.

> Also, what guarantee is there that the notification events come
> sufficiently slowly for a single task to process, particularly when that
> task may not have a whole cpu's resources to marshal to the task?

A more likely guarantee is that a process that can't keep up with
differential updates won't be able to process the whole list, either.
Well, unless the system is loaded with tons of short-lived processes
that wouldn't even make the full process list by the time it's pulled.
But in such a case, a complete list of task won't do you much good,
either, because by the time you are ready to query the kernel for
details the tasks are gone.

> Queueing them sounds less than ideal due to resource consumption, and
> if notifications are dropped most of the efficiency gains are lost. So
> I question that a bit.

Point. Task discovery is not an exact science anyway, though.

I'd still expect differential notification to be useful in most
non-pathological cases, but I concede it's nowhere as clear-cut as
nproc per se is.

> I have a vague notion that userspace should intelligently schedule
> inquiries so requests are made at a rate the app can process and so
> that the app doesn't consume excessive amounts of cpu. In such an
> arrangement screen refresh events don't trigger a full scan of the
> tasklist, but rather only an incremental partial rescan of it, whose
> work is limited for the above cpu bandwidth concerns.

While I'm not sure I understand how that partial rescan (or its limits)
would be defined, I agree with the general idea. There is indeed plenty
of room for improvement in a smart user space. For instance, most apps
show only the top n processes. So if an app shows the top 20 memory
users, it could use nproc to get a complete list of pid+vmrss, and then
request all the expensive fields only for the top 20 in that list.

> On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 07:52:45PM +0200, Roger Luethi wrote:
> > I'd much rather remove unnecessary overhead than optimize code for
> > overhead processing. Note that number() takes out 7% and that's the
> > _kernel_ printing numbers for user space to parse back. And __d_lookup
> > is another /proc souvenir you get to keep as long as you use /proc.
>
> I'm expecting very very long lifetimes for legacy kernel versions and
> userspace predating the merge of nproc, so it's not entirely irrelevant,
> though backports aren't exactly something I relish.

Uhm... Optimized string parsing would require updated user space
anyway. OTOH, I can buy the legacy kernel argument, so if you want to
rewrite the user space tools, go wild :-). You may find that there are
issues more serious than string parsing:

$ ps --version
procps version 3.2.3
$ ps -o pid
PID
2089
2139
$ strace ps -o pid 2>&1|grep 'open("/proc/'|wc -l
325

<whine>

> On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 07:52:45PM +0200, Roger Luethi wrote:
> > Well __task_mem is promiment here because I don't call other computation
> > functions. vmstat ain't cheap, and wchan is horribly expensive if the
> > kernel does the ksym translation. Etc. pp.
>
> task_mem() is generally prominent when the processes have large numbers
> of vmas, and also due to acquisition of ->mmap_sem.

Makes sense. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misleading you.

Roger

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.067 / U:0.536 seconds]