SubjectRe: PROBLEM: cdrecord as normal user broken with kernel 2.6.8.1
Date

It's crystal clear that applications should run correctly with a kernel,
and it is not the kernel that should be made to work with them.
By the way, things are already getting fixed in next kernel releases.

Nevertheless, a problem exists.
I wouldn't expect relevant things (such as CD burning) to broke within stable
series of a kernel. It's ok if things break with 2.5 or 2.7, but should it be
the same for 2.6?

In my humble opinion, a nice and good way to tighten security for some
commands was to give it as an option in ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL or SCSI section in
kernel configuration.
That way people could read "this option improves security, it will become
standard in later kernels, but be aware that it could make cdrecording tools
not functional when they are run from a normal user account"
and people could decide what to do.

Wasn't that more reasonable?

Regards,
Giacomo Lozito

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.063 / U:0.120 seconds]