Subject[BENCHMARK] nproc: netlink access to /proc information
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:23:08 -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> than speed benefits. How many processes did you microbenchmark with?

Executive summary: I wrote a benchmark to compare /proc and nproc
performance. The results are as expected: Parsing even the most simple
strings is expensive. /proc performance does not scale if we have to
open and close many files, which is the common case.

In a situation with many processes p and fields/files f the delivery
overhead is roughly O(p) for nproc and O(p*f) for /proc.

The difference becomes even more pronounced if a /proc file request
triggers an expensive in-kernel computation for fields that are not
of interest but part of the file, or if human-readable files need to
be parsed.

Benchmark: I chose the most favorable scenario for /proc I could think
of: Reading a single, easy to parse file per process and find every data
item useful. I picked /proc/pid/statm. For nproc, I chose seven fields
that are calculated with the same resource usage as the fields in statm:
NPROC_VMSIZE, NPROC_VMLOCK, NPROC_VMRSS, NPROC_VMDATA, NPROC_VMSTACK,
NPROC_VMEXE, and NPROC_VMLIB.

Numbers:
* The first run is basically lseek+read:
/proc/pid/statm for 1000 processes, 1000 times, lseek
CPU time : 7.080000s
Wall time: 7.636732s

* The second run adds a simple sscanf call to dump seven values
into seven variables:
/prod/pid/statm for 1000 processes, 1000 times, lseek (scanf)
CPU time : 10.230000s
Wall time: 10.958432s

* If we watch p processes with f files each, we typically hit the
file descriptor limit before p * f == 1024. From then on, lseek is
useless, we have to resort to opening and closing files:
/prod/pid/statm for 1000 processes, 1000 times, open
CPU time : 14.920000s
Wall time: 16.087339s

* Again, parsing the string comes at a cost:
/prod/pid/statm for 1000 processes, 1000 times, open (scanf)
CPU time : 18.110000s
Wall time: 19.457451s

* What happens if we need to read 2 simple /proc files (14 fields)
per process?
/prod/pid/statm (2x) for 1000 processes, 1000 times, open (scanf)
CPU time : 30.250000s
Wall time: 32.650314s

* 10000 processes at 3 files each (27 fields)
/prod/pid/statm (3x) for 10000 processes, 1000 times, open (scanf)
CPU time : 450.630000s
Wall time: 500.265503s

* nproc delivering said 7 fields:
nproc for 1000 processes, 1000 times, one process per request
CPU time : 7.910000s
Wall time: 8.473371s

* 200 processes per request, but still 1000 reply messages. If we stuffed
a bunch of them into every message, performance would improve further.
nproc for 1000 processes, 1000 times, 200 processes per request
CPU time : 6.350000s
Wall time: 6.817391s

* There's no large penalty if we need additional fields:
14 nproc fields for 1000 processes, 1000 times, one process per request
CPU time : 8.680000s
Wall time: 9.328828s

27 nproc fields for 10000 processes, 1000 times, one process per request
CPU time : 88.270000s
Wall time: 98.664330s

Roger

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.107 / U:1.008 seconds]