    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 wrote:
    > What would your openat() produce? Normal struct file? Then what's going
    > to be its vfsmount/dentry and what will they be attached to?

    Normal file descriptor, exactly like "open()".

    And it's going to have all the same vfsmount/dentry thing it would have if
    you looked it up the whole way. I don't understand your question..

    Ignore the O_XATTR thing for a while, and assume it's just a convenient
    combination of "fchdir + open" (plus "fchdir back" of course, but that's
    beside the point - openat() doesn't ever really change cwd).

    Going back to O_XATTR: that would end up doing the "special vfsmount"
    magic at the beginning of the lookup. If the dentry you started with
    wasn't marked D_HYBRID, it would just return -ENOTDIR.

    So we could do openat() _without_ any of the lookup_mnt() etc special
    cases. This interface is independent of whether we want to expose the
    attributes through a normal lookup - we can do either, both, or neither as
    we choose.

    The nice thing about "openat()" is
    - people can definitely find uses for it even without attributes.
    - it's "portable". Well, at least somebody else does the same thing,
    which is nice for user-space developers. You don't use a Linux-only
    interface, you use a Linux/Solaris one, which makes a lot of people a
    lot more happy.

    Remember, portability has always been very important to Linux, and
    Linux-only features while nice are certainly not as nice as features you
    can also find in other places.

    NIH is a disease.

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.020 / U:48.720 seconds]