    Paul Jackson wrote:

    >Helge wrote:
    >>So an old "tar" won't get this right as it will assume that an object
    >>is either file or directory.
    >There are many backup apps, not just one. I've written a few myself,
    >none of which will ever be worthy of notice. The sourceforge
    >Topic.System.Archiving.Backup lists 335 projects at present.
    >I find the idea that most backup tools and scripts will silently
    >stop working correctly to be pretty scary.
    They won't stop working, they will merely not support
    the new features. That is only a problem if
    you actually use those features. If all you have
    is plain files and plain directories - no problem. Not
    if files-as-directories are implemented right.

    Helge Hafting

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.020 / U:49.336 seconds]