    SubjectRe: Summarizing the PWC driver questions/answers
    On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 00:08, Kenneth Lavrsen wrote:
    > > I have boxes where I can't run the latest version
    > >of AIX any more since the hardware is no longer supported, but you don't
    > >see me ripping IBM's head off for that reason.

    BTW Sun did similar things with Solaris somewhere aroung 2.6 IIRC.

    > Ehhh????? No comment.

    Why?

    [...]
    > Why not let the current driver be and then work on the alternative?
    > Why is it so important that it is removed now?

    Because the driver's maintainer wanted it.

    > Linus indicated that since Nemosoft had asked for his driver to be removed
    > noone else could take the sources as they are and add them again. So any
    > altertive would be a start from scratch? Or did I misunderstand this?

    Yes, anyone - including you - can take over the maintanance of the
    GPL-part of driver. Even if the former maintainer does not like it.

    > That can take years. So I cannot update my kernel for years?
    > How many normal users knows even how to compile their own kernel?
    > You guys on this list talk as if anyone knows how to write a kernel module.
    > I think most of you have lost contact with the real users.

    No, they complain all around all the time. I don't think one can loose
    contact eeven if he wishes.
    The point is: This is GPL software - either you do something, or someone
    else does something or nothing is done. Whining doesn't help that much
    compared to writing code.

    > >And why is it you expect open source developers to assist in supporting
    > >binary only drivers?
    >
    > I am just asking for you guys to not DESTROY what is already there without
    > an alternative.

    It is not destroyed, it is only in another place. Find it and put it
    back whereever you need it.

    Bernd
    --
    Firmix Software GmbH http://www.firmix.at/
    mobil: +43 664 4416156 fax: +43 1 7890849-55