    On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 11:55:07AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > >
    > > So you'd have both a file and a directory that just happen
    > > to have the same name ? How would this work in the dcache?
    >
    > There would be only one entry in the dcache. The lookup will select
    > whether it opens the file or the directory based on O_DIRECTORY (and
    > usage, of course - if it's in the middle of a path, it obviously needs to
    > be opened as a directory regardless).

    hmm, that might be interesting for applications
    like apache which allow to append arguments by
    'building' a 'virtual' path ...

    http://www.kernel.org/list.cgi/some/more/args

    where the web server actually decides where the
    script ends and the arguments start by checking
    the filesystem ...

    > That's not the problem. The problem from a dcache standpoint ends up being
    > when the file has a link, and you have two paths to the same sub-file
    > through two different ways:
    >
    > .. create file 'x' with named stream 'y' ...
    > ln x z
    > ls -l x/y z/y /* it's the same attribute!! */
    >
    > but this is actually exactly the same thing that we already have with
    > mounts, ie it is equivalent (from a dentry standpoint) to
    >
    > .. create directory 'x' with file 'y' ..
    > mkdir z
    > mount --bind x z
    > ls -l x/y z/y /* It's the same file!! */
    >
    > so none of this is really anything "new" from a dcache standpoint.
    >
    > Except for all the details, of course ;)

    if the file is removed, but some attributes are
    'locked' by access, will the 'other' attributes
    remain visible or disappear ... leaving a partial
    'view' of the contents? or did I get the idea
    completely wrong?

    TIA,
    Herbert

    > Linus
    > -
    > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-fsdevel" in

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.024 / U:1.708 seconds]