SubjectRe: reiser4 plugins
Nikita Danilov wrote:

>Hans Reiser writes:
> > Christophe Saout wrote:
> >

> > >I don't know, ask Hans. How could the VFS know it a filesystem wants to
> > >do something specific with a file that is completely transparent to the
> > >VFS?
> > >

> > To know what method to use, you must determine the pluginid, and then
> > find the method within that plugin for that vfs operation.
> >
> > As for overhead, well, who eats whose dust in the benchmarks....?
>
>Whoever sponsors the benchmark usually wins. Had you forgotten that
>mongo setup used by http://www.namesys.com/benchmarks.html was specially
>`tuned' to reach peak reiser4 performance? Remember why you decided to
>turn OVERWRITE and MODIFY phases off? People on #reiser4 report 90
>_second_ stalls with reiser4 under high io loads (large atom is
>obviously being flushed and everyone waits on it...). In my opinion, it
>is such things that are of utmost importance for real reiser4
>acceptance, not how to name `metas' sub-directory.
>
>Nikita.

If you ask real users, they say that reiser4 is fast, and their
experience matches our benchmark. You can criticize the benchmark if
you want, but then you should run your own and publish it.

There are still plenty of things needing fixing though, and you are
right that they are more important than the pretext being attempted for
keeping us out of the kernel. Probably you could supply them with many
superior pretexts.;-)

The 90 second stalls, those should be fixed by debugging copy on capture
and turning it on, yes? You can hardly claim I failed to push for the
completion of copy on capture.... and of course the reason it is not
done is simply that there is too much to do.... I (sincerely) hope vs
enjoys his vacation, the whole team is working too hard. I am doing 7
day weeks now to try to make payroll for us and keep darpa happy at the
same time.

fsync performance needs fixing badly, and Chris is right in his
diagnosis of what we can do to fix it.

Hans

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.645 / U:0.036 seconds]