SubjectRe: kernel 2.6.8 pwc patches and counterpatches
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 city_hunter@azzurra.org wrote:

> Indeed, it's a real shame.
> Everybody should never forget, as history tells, that extremist positions
> quickly lead to destruction.
> I hope that open source movement will never become fundamentalism.

Exactly.

C'mon guys, put back the driver and hooks, and let the users decide. This
is not only about you, but about thousands of people using this driver,
whether they know it or not.

I've bought and returned 3 webcams from logitech and creative last week
because I couldn't get them to work in Linux. Aided by the philips webcam
driver website, I ordered a philips webcam. Today my cam arrived, and all
I can find is that the drivers have been removed - making webcam support
in Linux pretty much zero (at least the ones I can find here). Completely
ridiculous.

You know, I promised my girlfriend she could talk to her family 2000km
away in Finland. She's waiting right here next to me, and I dare you to
explain this idiotic zealotry to her. Or any normal person, for that
matter. And how happy are the people at Philips going to be after their
support to find out it was all for nothing? Not good. Not good at all. And
we really need some support in these areas.

Maybe Philips will open up their oh so secret compression algorithm if we
all ask them nicely. I mean, how secret can that still be?...

Put it back.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.088 / U:0.604 seconds]