    Lee Revell wrote:
    > Same here. This always seemed like something the kernel should be able
    > to handle. It seems to me that if reiser4 had been available at the
    > time the Gnome and KDE developers would not have needed to do this.

    reiser4 has prompted the discussion again, but it doesn't provide the
    virtual filesystem capabilities that we're talking about, which Gnome
    and KDE implement in userspace. The FUSE project is much more
    relevant for that.

    We had file-as-directory discussions years ago, and 5 years ago I was
    experimenting with doing virtual filesystems with that capability over NFS.

    podfuk offered something close to Gnome and KDE but in kernel space:
    virtual filesytems accessible through the kernel, but it didn't get
    too popular. It was based on Midnight Commander's VFS (which has
    evolved into Gnome's VFS), using the CODA filesystem interface to
    provide the kernel hooks. It had some problems, and was a bit fiddly
    to use. We still don't have something that's particularly nice to use
    for ordinary users.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.020 / U:1.100 seconds]