    Christophe Saout writes:
    > Am Freitag, den 27.08.2004, 00:30 +0400 schrieb Dmitry Baryshkov:
    >
    > > Another example: Can ext2/etx3/reiserfsv3/xfs be implemented as reiser4
    > > plugins? From Hans' words it seems so. If this is correct, then maybe
    > > reiser4 core should be updated to completely replace current VFS layer?
    > > Then it's a good point to create a branch (in old development model it
    > > would be 2.7, dunno for new :), replace VFS layer with reiser4 core, and
    > > rewrite all (or at least most used) FS as reiser4 plugins. Then
    > > everybody will be happy.
    > >
    > > But this looks too good to be true. Perhaps I misunderstood Hans' words
    > > aboud 'new disk format', did I?
    >
    > No. You can change the format the reiser4 storage tree is stored in. As
    > long as other filesystems don't use the same underlying storage tree
    > this is not possible.

    Wrong, plugin is called just below entry point from the VFS to the
    file-system back-end. It can use reiser4 tree, or any storage layer it
    wants. Or none at all: think about pseudo-files like
    foo/metas/uid---they are also implemnted by plugins.

    Programmer dedicated enough can (besides programming Fortran in any
    language), write reiser4 plugin for any file-system. I will leave
    description of this activity to people with better command over English
    language.

    Nikita.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:3.770 / U:0.024 seconds]