    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Martin J. Bligh wrote:

    > What would "test -d" and "test -f" return on these magic beasties? I can't
    > think of any combinations that wouldn't confuse the crap out of userspace.

    "It's a feature".

    The S_ISDIR/S_ISREG tests show real information: it shows not only user
    intent ("you should consider this a file, even if it has attributes"), but
    also whether it is a directory or a container.

    And there's a real technical difference there: the streams contained
    within a file are bound to that file. The files contained within a
    directory are _independent_ of that directory. Big difference. HUGE
    difference.

    So it's not confusing. If it tests as a file, you think of it as a file.
    It may have attributes aka named streams associated with it, and you may
    be able to open those attributes by treating the file as a directory, but
    that doesn't really change the fact that it's a file.

    The _big_ difference is that when you can make the compound object _look_
    like a directory, that means that you can now manage the attributes with
    standard tools. They are still attributes, though.

    Linus

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.020 / U:93.544 seconds]