    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > So you'd have both a file and a directory that just happen
    > to have the same name ? How would this work in the dcache?

    There would be only one entry in the dcache. The lookup will select
    whether it opens the file or the directory based on O_DIRECTORY (and
    usage, of course - if it's in the middle of a path, it obviously needs to
    be opened as a directory regardless).

    That's not the problem. The problem from a dcache standpoint ends up being
    when the file has a link, and you have two paths to the same sub-file
    through two different ways:

    .. create file 'x' with named stream 'y' ...
    ln x z
    ls -l x/y z/y /* it's the same attribute!! */

    but this is actually exactly the same thing that we already have with
    mounts, ie it is equivalent (from a dentry standpoint) to

    .. create directory 'x' with file 'y' ..
    mkdir z
    mount --bind x z
    ls -l x/y z/y /* It's the same file!! */

    so none of this is really anything "new" from a dcache standpoint.

    Except for all the details, of course ;)

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.023 / U:20.524 seconds]