    Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > If the smaller objects interact with normal files (link/rename,
    > contained in normal directories), they will have to obey the same
    > locking protocols. If not a filesystem could experiment with it of
    > course.

    I think the smaller objects will consist of special files, which are
    magic attributes like the ones you currently see in reiser4, and
    ordinary files (which might themselves be containers).

    Link/rename/locking etc. should work as usual on the ordinary smaller
    files, but probably aren't allowed at all on the special attribute
    files, except where there's an appropriate meaning. (For example
    locking certain attributes might have an appropriate meaning).

    It would make sense for the special attributes file to not identify as
    "regular files" (S_IFREG), but there aren't many mode bits to play
    with. They should also be harder to find than ordinary smaller files.

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:4.085 / U:0.056 seconds]