    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Jamie Lokier wrote:
    > Christophe Saout wrote:

    > > And if you read test.compound (the main stream) you get a special format
    > > that contains all the components. You can copy that single stream of
    > > bytes to another (reiser4) fs and then access test.compound/test.txt
    > > again.
    >
    > (To Rik especially), this is the design which more or less satisfies
    > lots of different goals at once.

    And if an unaware application reads the compound file
    and then writes it out again, does the filesystem
    interpret the contents and create the other streams ?

    Unless I overlook something (please tell me what), the
    scheme just proposed requires filesystems to look at
    the content of files that is being written out, in
    order to make the streams work.