On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Denis Vlasenko wrote:

> > I like cat < a > b. You can keep your progress.
>
> cat <a >b does not preserve following file properties even on standard
> UNIX filesystems: name,owner,group,permissions.

Losing permissions is one thing. Annoying, mostly.

However, actual losing file data during such a copy is
nothing short of a disaster, IMHO.

In my opinion we shouldn't merge file-as-a-directory
semantics into the kernel until we figure out how to
fix the backup/restore problem and keep standard unix
utilities work.