    On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Denis Vlasenko wrote:

    > > I like cat < a > b. You can keep your progress.
    >
    > cat <a >b does not preserve following file properties even on standard
    > UNIX filesystems: name,owner,group,permissions.

    Losing permissions is one thing. Annoying, mostly.

    However, actual losing file data during such a copy is
    nothing short of a disaster, IMHO.

    In my opinion we shouldn't merge file-as-a-directory
    semantics into the kernel until we figure out how to
    fix the backup/restore problem and keep standard unix
    utilities work.