    Spam <spam@tnonline.net> writes:

    > Keeping stuff in the kernel should make the new features
    > transparent to the applications.

    No, it will make just one special case, rename within the same
    filesystem, work. (Well, two special cases, rm will also delete
    the other forks).

    Unless we add a new copy(2) syscall (which would be nice for other
    reasons) all applicatons that copy files will fail to copy the
    streams. So no working cp command, no nautilus nor konqueror without
    changes to the application. And if you have to change the
    applications anyway, isn't it much better to agree on a shared library
    in userspace that everyone uses? Which has the added bonus that it
    can be made to work on top of Linux, Windows, Ultrix and VMS?

    /Christer

    Freelance consultant specializing in device driver programming for Linux
    Christer Weinigel <christer@weinigel.se> http://www.weinigel.se