SubjectRe: Linux Incompatibility List
Helge Hafting <helge.hafting@hist.no> writes:

> An idea: To really put some pressure on vendors, also have an entry
> for "alternate/better solution" where people can list a way to
> achieve the same result with someone else's product and open
> drivers. Example:

> Product: Matrox parhelia (a triplehead graphichs card)
> Reason: Bad binary-only 2D-only driver

Please add it here, using the 'template'.

http://leenooks.com/19

> Alternate solution: Achieve triplehead with two radeon cards (1 AGP
> dualhead + 1 PCI) instead!

> This will be useful for anyone planning a upgrade but finding their
> favourite solution on the incompatibility list. And it'll sure put
> some pressure on the manufacturer to at least get a _good_ driver
> out (changing the reason), or even better, an open one which get rid
> of the incompatibility entry. Helge Hafting

And in the case where there are multiple possibilities? I think as a
general rule, I don't want to get into pushing anyone's hardware as an
alternative, although if someone were to mention a few alternatives in
the comments or notes section I don't think it would hurt.

Thanks,
--
David N. Welton
Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/