On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 18:53, Jamie Lokier wrote:
> Nicholas Miell wrote:
> > > Additionally, all of those things you describe should be deleted if
> > > the file is modified -- to indicate that they're no longer valid and
> > > should be regenerated if needed.
> > >
> > > Whereas there are some other kinds of metadata which should not be
> > > deleted if the file is modified.
> > >
> > > -- Jamie
> >
> > Presumably the app which uses the metadata will be smart enough to
> > compare the st_mtime of the MDS/stream/attribute/whatever (can we choose
> > a name for these things now?) to the st_mtime of the file and do the
> > right thing.
>
> [This is straying off the topic of files-as-directories].
>
> st_mtime tests are weak. They break sometimes, and are not suitable
> for strong data models such as transparently caching generated data
> from a file's contents.
>
> They're especially breakable if you change a file and then read it
> within a second. Sometimes, more than a second.
>
> As has been raised before, nanosecond timestamps (a) don't solve this
> unless they're stored in the filesystem; (b) even then they will fail
> one day, on a sufficiently fast box; (c) don't work when there are
> changes to wall clock time.
>
> They're fine where you don't care if the generated data is wrong sometimes.
>
> If you want the _equivalent_ behaviour to opening and parsing the
> file, but fast, then they're no good.
>
> Modification serial numbers would work, though.
>
> -- Jamie

Remember that the Solaris attribute model is just another filesystem
tree rooted in a hidden directory associated with a regular file. If you
can come up with semantics that work in general for all files, that's
fine.

inodes that delete themselves when other inodes are changed creep me
out.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.928 / U:1.244 seconds]