SubjectRe: CD/DVD record
On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 18:07:09 -0400
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hat trick on the Good Point(tm) front. Agreed!
> > >
> > > Well then I may go and look into cd recording then...hmm...
> >
> > I hate to say it, but why reinvent the wheel? I'm sure that if Jorg
> > doesn't support new technology there will be a project, either on
> > sourceforge or freestanding, to create OpenCDburn or some such. It would
> > be very hard to find someone as technically good as Jorg in this area,
> > [...]
>
> Actually this is only FUD spread by Joerg. He is definitely not the only man on
> this planet knowing how to program CD/DVD burning equipment.

Good, glad you have a supply of SCSI gurus who want to dedicate all their
spare time to maintaining OS software. Joerg has been at this for years,
and I think that while identifying technically competent people is
possible, I doubt there's a big overlap with the set of people who have
nothing better to do with their spare time. When I said "find" I certainly
meant both qualifications.

> Generally cdrecord has one big deficiency, which obviously was intended:
> it does not allow medium skilled programmers from drive _vendors_ to add
> support for their latest hardware easily. Everyone has to beg Joerg, which
> obviously increased his ego dramatically over the years.
> It would be a lot better to start off a new project where vendors (or anybody
> with skill and will) can contribute more easily, i.e. something that is truely
> _open_.

A nice idea, but in truth if a vendor wants support in cdrecord a tech ref
and sample unit will almost certainly do it. I'd love to have support for
HD_BURN in Linux, but Joerg can't seem to get the info needed. I doubt
that people who won't release the info will trouble to write the driver.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc