    On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 01:22:55PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > >
    > > For one thing _I_ didn't decide about xattrs anyway. And I still
    > > haven't seen a design from you on -fsdevel how you try to solve the
    > > problems with files as directories.
    >
    > Hey, files-as-directories are one of my pet things, so I have to side with
    > Hans on this one. I think it just makes sense. A hell of a lot more sense
    > than xattrs, anyway, since it allows scripts etc standard tools to touch
    > the attributes.
    >
    > It's the UNIX way.

    Not if you allow link(2) on them. And not if you design and market your
    stuff as a general-purpose backdoor into kernel. Note how *EVERY* *DAMN*
    *OPERATION* is made possible to override by "plugins". Which is the reason
    for deadlocks in question, BTW.

    Don't fool yourself - that's what Hans is selling. Target market: ISV.
    Marketed product: a set of hooks, the wider the better, no matter how
    little sense it makes. The reason for doing that outside of core kernel:
    bypassing any review and being able to control the product being sold (see
    above).

    Shame that it got an actual filesystem mixed in with the marketing plans
    and general insanity...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.022 / U:0.436 seconds]