Doug Maxey wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:25:17 EDT, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>>permission to open. This allows the admin to put in any filter desired,
>>know about vendor commands, etc. It also allows various security
>>setups, the group can be on the user (trusted users) or on a setgid
>>program (which limits the security issues).
>

> Down such path lies madness :) This list would have to be maintained for
> most every model, of every drive, for every manufacturer. The list could
> conceivably change weekly, if not sooner. This could change, of course, if
> the use of linux would become as ubiquitous as the dominant redmond produnt,
> and the manufacturers would supply the "mini-port" driver bits, as it were.
>
> The theory is wonderful. Until there is enough "clout" to change the
> manufacturers participation, it is probably futile. :-/

But you don't need magic vendor commands to read and write disk (or
tape), you can do it with the base commands defined in SCSI-II. You only
need filter lists for special cases where (a) you really do want vendor
commands and (b) there's some reason to allow this to normal users.

I doubt that you need magic for any of the other obvious devices like
SCSI scanners, ZIP and LS120 drives using ATA access rather than
ide-floppy or ide-scsi, etc. I could be wrong on scanners, the setup
commands may be more dangerous than I think.

To write CD unfortunately does seem to take more than I want the average
user to do.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)