    SubjectRe: Shouldn't kconfig defaults match recommendations in help text?
    Jesper Juhl writes:
    > [quote]
    > The processor's performance-monitoring counters are special-purpose
    > global registers. This option adds support for virtual per-process
    > performance-monitoring counters which only run when the process
    > to which they belong is executing. This improves the accuracy of
    > performance measurements by reducing "noise" from other processes.
    > Say Y.
    > Virtual performance counters support (PERFCTR_VIRTUAL) [N/y/?] (NEW)
    > [/quote]
    > I just picked the above randomly, there are several other cases like it.
    > The comment clearly makes a recommendation that the user enables (in this
    > case) the option, yet the default is the exact opposite. What is the point
    > in that?
    > I don't see anything but confusion amongst users as the result of such
    > inconsistency.

    This particular mismatch occurs because the Kconfig entry
    doesn't have a "default" line, so Kconfig defaults to "n".

    It makes little sense to disable PERFCTR_VIRTUAL when
    PERFCTR is enabled, so providing a "default y" for
    PERFCTR_VIRTUAL is the right thing to do.
    (It's an option because the design allows several
    independent high-level services on top of the low-level
    code. Currently there's only one high-level service in
    2.6-mm, but with several it's reasonable to allow users
    to enable only those they actually want.)

    > Would patches to change default configuration choices to match the
    > recommendation given in the help text (if any) be acceptable? If not I'd
    > be interrested in the reasons why not.
    > If such patches are acceptable/wanted I'll be happy to supply them.

    Feel free to do so :-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.022 / U:2.696 seconds]