    Julien Oster <lkml-7994@mc.frodoid.org> wrote:

    > Joerg Schilling <schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de> writes:
    >
    > > But in order to rip an audio CD, you need to use e.g. MODE SELECT.
    > > If you start to distinct safe SCSI commands from possibly unsafe ones, then
    > > MODE SELECT could not be in the list of safe ones.
    >
    > That is why I'm proposing an empty filter at boot time, which allows
    > no SG_IO except when having CAP_SYS_RAWIO (which enables everything)
    > and the possibility to open up certain commands from userspace later.

    If the related /dev/* nodes are owned by root and set up rw-r-r or worse
    for others and requiring write access to send SCSI commands, then you get
    the same kind of authentification, but cdrecord would continue to work.
    Only if someone would chown the related /dev/* nodes to a user differen from
    root there would be a difference.
    P.S.: UNIX philosohy is to allow the administrator to set up bad/wrong permissions.

    Jörg

    js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1
    schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (work) chars I am J"org Schilling